Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Graphix

Asterix 33 - satire of Iraq's invasion?

Beitrag: # 5719Beitrag Graphix »

hey boys and girls, I found this article on the net:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/ast ... 03244.html
where, to cite a little bit, it says:

"The not so subtle political satire in Asterix and the Falling Sky, and its heavy-handed dig at American intervention in Iraq, has proved so popular that the book is selling a record 200,000 copies a day."

I dont know, but I hadn't really thought about the parallel they are giving here. I mean, on some of the quotes they give from the book (in the above mentioned article), it does give that impression, but while reading the story such a relation did not come to mind.

I have the book in dutch and I did not get the same feeling out of the texts in dutch as of the quotes mentioned in english... could it be a question of translation? is this impression given in translations other than the english one?

...just a thought...
Christine

Re: Asterix 33 - satire of Iraq's invasion?

Beitrag: # 5720Beitrag Christine »

I am very surprised by the statement you found.
And I am quite unhappy that this "analysis" says that this "not-so-subtle" book is popular because it is anti-american. Nice way of presenting the Old World... Is the journalist working in a Ruppert-Murdock paper ????

BTW, when did Uderzo begin writing the story ?
I would not be suprised if it were before this war...
Kristoffer Karlsson

Beitrag: # 5721Beitrag Kristoffer Karlsson »

Botanix hat geschrieben:I am very surprised by the statement you found.
And I am quite unhappy that this "analysis" says that this "not-so-subtle" book is popular because it is anti-american. Nice way of presenting the Old World... Is the journalist working in a Ruppert-Murdock paper ????

BTW, when did Uderzo begin writing the story ?
I would not be suprised if it were before this war...
I agree with you. Probably another case of some body over analyzing things.
shr

Beitrag: # 5722Beitrag shr »

I'm baffled by these claims as well which were, I believe, put out widely by Asterix's publishers when the book was released. I can see why they wanted to portray Uderzo as anti-American to ride the wave of such feelings across Europe, but no matter how much Uderzo himself endorses such a reading, it is hard to reconcile it with the book I've read. The Hubs/Bush and Arnie/Superman figures are the good guys and the dedication to Walt Disney is too warm, too generous to be ironic. I thought the book an obvious homage to Disney until I read these reports.

It also annoys me that they have been saying that this is the first 'political' Asterix. What about The Mansions of the Gods, Obelix&Co and the Great Divide?
SingingGandalf

Beitrag: # 10456Beitrag SingingGandalf »

I highly doubt it. It doesn't seem very political. I can think that even the suez crisis is more reminisent than the Iraq war!
Antworten