Analysis/Explanation of the Latin in English Asterix Books

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
asterixfan1010

Analysis/Explanation of the Latin in English Asterix Books

Beitrag: # 33407Beitrag asterixfan1010 »

I found it odd that there wasn't a good resource for the English version of Asterix for the Latin quotes. I think the readers of Asterix in English are really missing out on the good jokes and puns and all the other word plays.

I was wandering around the internet and I found a recent post about some of the Latin quotes (found
here ). It's not a lot, but it's something.

It's not a blog purely dedicated to this, but I think the guy is going to write more. (We'll see.)

I hope this is funny or useful to some of the English-speaking fans of Asterix.
Sellix
AsterIX Village Guard
Re: Analysis/Explanation of the Latin in English Asterix Boo

Beitrag: # 33435Beitrag Sellix »

100+ Asterix translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Maik

Beitrag: # 33529Beitrag Maik »

Ask the profesor about the latin quote in "Asterix and the Actress" the old Pirate say (on the page where pirates appear) I coudn't find translation for this one any where on the internet...

[EDIT]
The quote is :
Ceterarum rerum prurens
Sellix
AsterIX Village Guard

Beitrag: # 33576Beitrag Sellix »

It means:

Caution in other cases.

A reaction of the (origional) sentence:
bien que loin de la cote où niche le petit teigneux, soyons tout de même vigilants.
(English: although far from the coast where the small niche scabby're still vigilant).

scabby = scorf (Deutch), onderkruiper (Dutch)
vigilant = someone who ignores the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante)
100+ Asterix translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
beardsy

Beitrag: # 33577Beitrag beardsy »

Hi guys, it's my blog you've found. I was thinking 'what's this site I keep getting hits from?' [I live in Switzerland but my German isn't great so I hope I don't do something wrong or break a rule I didn't know about!]

Why did I start doing this?
I had a look around the net and found translations of most of the Latin in Asterix, but half the time it made no sense. I wanted to know why it was funny! Professor Ibrox is a real person (though that's not his name!) and he's helping me a lot by explaining the cultural references. He's kind of a top expert type guy.

I hope to add a bit of value by explaining the jokes instead of just translating things. Some of the references are amazingly clever! I have discovered immense respect for the translators.

So far I've done the first 8 books and got the posts ready and saved, but I can't release them all at once because my friends and family (who are 99% of my readers!) will think I'm being spammy.

Glad to have found this forum!
Andrew
asterixfan1010

Beitrag: # 33578Beitrag asterixfan1010 »

@Sellix

I've had that site bookmarked for a while, but sometimes I need the context as well. That's why I was surprised that this random blog had the translations as well as explanation of the joke (just in case you didn't know some of the esoteric puns).
Antworten