Oops!!!  Name Changes

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Sukisuix

Oops!!!  Name Changes

Beitrag: # 4151Beitrag Sukisuix »

I have noticed some characters are given different names in the books.  And this happens in the different languages too.

Drunken Legionary
Asterix and Caesar’s Gift

Tremensdelirious (Roméomontaigus)

Asterix and the Actress

Tremensdelirius (Roméomontaigus)

Centurion
Asterix the Gladiator

Gracchus Armisurplus (Gracchus Nenjetépus)

Asterix and the Banquet

Lotuseatus (Gracchus Nenjetépus)

Anyone know of any others.
Sellix

Re: Oops!!!  Name Changes

Beitrag: # 4152Beitrag Sellix »

??? please explain. Do you mean the names in the new just printed English editions are changed?

Hans
invisifan

Beitrag: # 4153Beitrag invisifan »

[quote author=Hans Selles link=board=general;num=1088005102;start=0#1 date=06/23/04 om 19:24:37] ??? please explain. Do you mean the names in the new just printed English editions are changed?[/quote]

Not a new thing - I noticed it a long time ago. The Centurion in album #4 is the same as the centurion (of the same camp) in album #5 - they are drawn the same and in French they have the same name: "Gracchus Nenjetépus",  however the English albums (and looking at Katja's German & Finnish cross-references, those translations also) use *different* names in each album....
Wenleyix3

Beitrag: # 4154Beitrag Wenleyix3 »

Those Centurions had different names in the original English Editions, and this has not been corrected in the Re-editions.

And wasn't the character of Sopoforix (Panacea's father)given a different name in one of the translations to when he was referenced in Asterix and the Legionary and when he appears in Asterix and the Actress?
Christine

Beitrag: # 4155Beitrag Christine »

Is the name Sopoforix or Soporifix  ??

Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 4156Beitrag Sukisuix »

Botanix hat geschrieben: Is the name Sopoforix or Soporifix  ??
It is Soporifix.  His name was the same in Asterix the Legionary and Asterix and the Actress, in the English editions.
invisifan

Pointless Name Changes

Beitrag: # 4157Beitrag invisifan »

Sukisuix hat geschrieben:His name was the same in Asterix the Legionary and Asterix and the Actress, in the English editions.
Or Calorifix in the ignorable American translation, originally Plantaquatix in French -- which would have been OK in English too ...

Which brings to mind one of my pet (if minor) peeves:  >:( spurious changes for the sake of change ...  The American translation springs to mind of course, where every fictional name (except Asterix, Obelix & Dogmatix) was changed for the sake of change :P (actually in this case I expect it's because Caron was working from the English editions & didn't want any plagarism charges ::) ) ... but the American "translation" aside, why change names that would have worked as-is?   Plantaquatix is a good example, but even more obviously:  PANORAMIX !!  Why change that?   As one of the most important characters in the series why not keep the recognizable name ??? Which is just as good! (better really IMHO) ... *sigh*  ...

Sukisuix

Re: Pointless Name Changes

Beitrag: # 4158Beitrag Sukisuix »

invisifan hat geschrieben: PANORAMIX !!  Why change that?   As one of the most important characters in the series why not keep the recognizable name ??? Which is just as good! (better really IMHO) ... *sigh*  ...

I understanding what you are saying, I do not know why they changed Panoramix.???
However I have grown up with the name Getafix, and personally I like the name Getafix, especially for a druid. :D
invisifan

Re: Pointless Name Changes

Beitrag: # 4159Beitrag invisifan »

Sukisuix hat geschrieben:However I have grown up with the name Getafix, and personally I like the name Getafix, especially for a druid. :D
Certainly it's "the" English name for him now.  It's the first - and for many years only - name that I knew him as too ... But I really wish they'd kept the original (and "Getafix" makes him sound like a drug dealer -- which is arguably true of course, but still... :P )

Anyway, if they'd kept the original reasonable name then  we might not also be stuck with "Readymix", "Magigimmix", etc... ::)
Christopher

Beitrag: # 4160Beitrag Christopher »

PANORAMIX, French original name, is better for the Gaulish druid.  Why the Gaulish druid was nicknamed as GETAFIX by English translators ?
germ_aka_Jermayn

Beitrag: # 4161Beitrag germ_aka_Jermayn »

I like Getafix better than PANORAMIX!!!

In my collection, the video "Asterix and Gaul" the characters like Getafix and others have all their 'old' names like PANORAMIX and from memory (its been a while) I think the chief (cant spell his name) also had 'another' name as well!!! If people want i can check further and watch the movie
Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 4162Beitrag Sukisuix »

suetus hat geschrieben:PANORAMIX, French original name, is better for the Gaulish druid.  Why the Gaulish druid was nicknamed as GETAFIX by English translators ?
I can only think it was to do with, that you go to the doctors to GET A FIX.  I have never read anywhere why they gave him that name.
invisifan

Beitrag: # 4163Beitrag invisifan »

Sukisuix hat geschrieben:I can only think it was to do with, that you go to the doctors to GET A FIX.  I have never read anywhere why they gave him that name.
I'm told that "Panoramique" would translate to something like Psychodelic in English -- and basically a drug-culture reference in the early 60's;  Get-a-fix is definitely a drug-culture ref. of the same period (which is why the N.A. newspaper strip changed his name to "Readymix" even tho' they kept most of the other names).
Keviniks

names in asterix the gaul movie

Beitrag: # 10548Beitrag Keviniks »

In the movie -- Vitalstatistix is "TonofBrix" and Cacofonix is "StoptheMusix"
Antworten