Songs : A and the Cauldron

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Christine

Songs : A and the Cauldron

Beitrag: # 4620Beitrag Christine »

On the site http://www.liacs.nl/home/hoogeboo/songs.html , it is written 'No songs found in:
* 13 Asterix and the cauldron, except for Obelix' Tralalala!'

There is however a reference to a Foreign Legion song, but a rather subtle(*) one, mentionned in Stephane Riviere's site.
I give the explanation in the previous subject, "A. and the Cauldron".

(*) the reference is subtle, not really the song...
Bernard

Waterloo[Re: Songs : A and the Cauldron

Beitrag: # 4621Beitrag Bernard »

Likewise with Asterix In Corsica. In the English version the name of the character Boneywasawarriorwayayix, must have been based on a British maritime song (otherwise known as a 'sea shanty') about the life of Napoleon Bonaparte called Boney Was A Warrior; click here for lyrics.

In the 1970 movie Waterloo (the one with Rod Steiger as Napoleon), the song is sung by Wellington's army just prior to the battle.

If you're wired for sound, this site gives you a good blast of it: http://www.contemplator.com/sea/bwarrior.html
Zuletzt geändert von Bernard am 27. September 2006 10:01, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Christine

Re: Songs : A and the Cauldron

Beitrag: # 4622Beitrag Christine »

In French, the same Corsican character is named "Ocatarinetabelatchitchix" which is a song, albeit a less warlike one : 'O Catarineta bella - tchi tchi" by Tino Rossi (if you scorn my love now, you'll be sorry when you're old...). The most popular Corsican singer - kinda crooner- whose heirs earn donkeyloadfuls of gold every Christmas. His interpretation of "Petit Papa Noël" (Little Father Christmas) has been a standard for decades.
Cacofonix sings that in 'Asterix and the Magic Carpet', but of course the version is different ("Petit Génie Ariel") ; Ariel is a name mentioned both in the Bible and, as a spirit, in 'The Tempest' by Shakespeare.
Christine

Beitrag: # 13104Beitrag Christine »

A quizz question in Collectionix's french forum pointed out a song not mentionned in http://www.liacs.nl/home/hoogeboo/songs.html . Here is the reference, if this work about songs is still in progress :

in 'A. in Switzerland', page 45 :
"Fais dodo, Caius mon p'tit frère, fais dodo, t'auras du lactum ! "

from the nursery rhyme, using childlish words :
'fais dodo, Colin mon p'tit frère, fais dodo t'auras du lolo'.

Translation : "sleep, Colin little brother, sleep (and) you'll have milk".
Well, it sounds quite dull in English.
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Beitrag: # 13106Beitrag Jochgem »

Christine hat geschrieben:... if this work about songs is still in progress ...
Ahum. In progress, but the advances are difficult to measure with the naked eye I am afraid. As a new start I have immediately added this reference from Asterix in Switzerland . Thanks Christine, for keeping the project alive.

Hendrik Jan "Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 13118Beitrag Sukisuix »

A. in Switzerland page 45

Bye, infans bunting, paters gone hunting...

The song I found similar is the Hunter's Lullaby and also in English and French
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Beitrag: # 13120Beitrag Jochgem »

Sukisuix hat geschrieben:Bye, infans bunting, paters gone hunting...
You mean that is the English translation of the same song? I did a google on 'bunting hunting' and found a nursery rhyme on wikipedia. Obviously infans and pater are Latin substitutes for child and father. Did Cohen base his song on that known rhyme?

Wikipedia has a long list of nursery rhymes, I feel we should check that against the songs in Asterix.

Silly question: what is bunting?

HJ "Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 13122Beitrag Sukisuix »

Sorry I should have said English version.

Your nursery rhyme, looks a closer match. It does look like L. Cohen based his Hunter's Lullaby on the nursery rhyme.
Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 13125Beitrag Sukisuix »

Jochgem hat geschrieben:Silly question: what is bunting?HJ "Jochgem"
I have tried to find out for you what bunting would have meant in the nursery rhyme, and I am sorry I do not know. It might have been a name, or even meant girl.

Things that do come up for bunting are
Bird
Flags
Also hooded tops for babies and car seat covers for babies. Baby things seem to have taken over the name.
invisifan

Beitrag: # 13126Beitrag invisifan »

Jochgem hat geschrieben:Silly question: what is bunting?
An old term for a loosely woven puffy wool cloth with distinct sides used in flags and to wrap infants ... (weird trivia)
Antworten