Hey I'm a new Aussie here!

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Hawkangel

Hey I'm a new Aussie here!

Beitrag: # 5804Beitrag Hawkangel »

Hi everyone,

My name is Glenn and I live in Sydney, Australia.
I had good memories of reading Asterix as a child in my school library, so let me tell you a little story about how I got back into reading our favourite Gaul.
My wife and I were checking the TV guide a couple of weeks back and I saw that on SBS the Asterix and Obelix take on Caesar movie was on late at night. I knew that Asterix movies had been made in the past and thought it was a cartoon. To my delight it was a live action movie! I was excitedly explaining to my wife who wasn't too familiar with the characters that it was originally a comic and who was who and about the magic potion, etc.
Suddenly dawned on me...I dressed up as Asterix at a 'School Book Week fancy dress' 21 years ago (I was nine) and forgot all about!! How could I forgot that? Yes, I have a photo or two of me as Asterix, so I'll see if I can dig it up and post a link to it here.
Anyway, loved the live action movie, I want to see the next one and recently I have been buying Asterix books in hardcover.

Just a question for you Aussies out there, where do you purchase your Asterix books from? I find the hardcovers are $30 or so which can be quite expensive.
geopolitix

Re: Hey I'm a new Aussie here!

Beitrag: # 5805Beitrag geopolitix »

Hi, nice to meet you.
30 Australian $ ? how many is it in € (euros) or US $ ?
Hawkangel

Beitrag: # 5806Beitrag Hawkangel »

According to the universal currency converter at www.xe.net/ucc $30 Australian dollars = 18.64 EURO or $22.63  American dollars.
Aktuar
AsterIX Bard

Beitrag: # 5807Beitrag Aktuar »

That price is similar to the price charged here in Europe for hardcover books. It might be cheaper to buy softcover, even used. Have a look to ebay or an antiquarian bookshop in Internet.

For further information, have a look to http://www.asterix-international.de/

or http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/ . There are many English fan-websites for Asterix.

However, best regards to Aussie-land! I just had once the chance to visit Sydney for a congress.
geopolitix

Beitrag: # 5808Beitrag geopolitix »

Hawkangel hat geschrieben:According to the universal currency converter at www.xe.net/ucc $30 Australian dollars = 18.64 EURO or $22.63  American dollars.
Ouch ... that's expensive.   :o
MantisQueen

Beitrag: # 5809Beitrag MantisQueen »

If you are in Sydney then you should have a number of second-hand bookstores available to you.  Ring them up and ask if they have some Asterix books available before you visit ... travelling around Sydney drives me mad on the best of days.
Antworten