Do you know History?

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
JULIUS CAESAR

Do you know History?

Beitrag: # 11817Beitrag JULIUS CAESAR »

History says that ROME won and ... Asterix never existed! There was a barbarous people in ancient Gallia that was defeated by Roman Army.
Asterix is the caricature of Vercingetorix, the leader of this barbarous people. Julius Caesar wrote about the heroic deeds of Roman legions and the taking of Alesia, their capital in the " DE BELLO GALLICO " that I ask you to read.
CIVIS ROMANUS SUM!
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Beitrag: # 11818Beitrag Jochgem »

Really? How could we have been mistaken for so long!? Thanks! I think I will switch and start reading The Adventures of Julius Caesar the Roman, album 'de Bello Galico'. Although I think the pictures could have been better.

"Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Sukisuix

Beitrag: # 11819Beitrag Sukisuix »

Jochgem hat geschrieben:Really? How could we have been mistaken for so long!? Thanks! I think I will switch and start reading The Adventures of Julius Caesar the Roman.

"Jochgem"
I wouldn't do that Jochgem, it would not be nearly as entertaining as Asterix :-D After all we need somewhere to escape to, and what better way than A & O thumping the Romans :legion:
Christine

Re: Do you know History?

Beitrag: # 11820Beitrag Christine »

JULIUS CAESAR hat geschrieben: Asterix is the caricature of Vercingetorix
Really ?
I did not know Vercingetorix was so little preoccupied by politics !

You are right to point out that the authors of the Asterix album always state that their work is absolutely respectful of history, and that these books are full of hateful propaganda against a civilized occupant.
:wink:
The positive effect of colonization, eh ?
shr

Beitrag: # 11825Beitrag shr »

Although that particular version of History was written by Julius Caesar himself, who can hardly be called objective, even if he does write in the third person!
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Beitrag: # 11826Beitrag Jochgem »

-- He's great.
JC: Who?
-- You.
JC: Oh, him.

"Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
SingingGandalf

Beitrag: # 11909Beitrag SingingGandalf »

Who's to say that all Gaul was occupied by the Romans. there could have been a little village by the coast somewhere in Armorica... Why, all of Germania and those Goths were free. All we have is old Julies word for it - could he be biased me thinks?
Zuletzt geändert von SingingGandalf am 8. August 2006 22:38, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Bernard

Beitrag: # 11939Beitrag Bernard »

I've had the pleasure to read Caesar's Gallic War commentary, and also those commentaries on the Civil War, the Alexandrian War, the African War and the Spanish War in which he was also involved. They are indeed a good read. Assuming that circumstances favoured him, it would have been interesting to have read a commentary on his projected Parthian campaign, but the Ides of March intervened.
Zuletzt geändert von Bernard am 24. Juli 2006 17:18, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Bernard

Beitrag: # 11940Beitrag Bernard »

Jochgem hat geschrieben:-- He's great.
JC: Who?
-- You.
JC: Oh, him.

"Jochgem"
JC: "I'm not schizophrenic, and neither is he". :lol:
purplesubmarine

Beitrag: # 12078Beitrag purplesubmarine »

:smile: Just a little psychiatry here
Schizophrenic doesn't actually mean having a double personality, it means being out of touch with reality.

At my age, still reading comic books... maybe I'm outta touch with reality... :sad:
Bernard

Beitrag: # 12210Beitrag Bernard »

purplesubmarine hat geschrieben::smile: Just a little psychiatry here
Schizophrenic doesn't actually mean having a double personality, it means being out of touch with reality.
This is true. But I also thought that it could describe a situation (not necessarily psychiatric) that resulted from the coexistence of distinct identities. :-?

Not to worry, it was just a silly pun anyway. :)
Antworten